Wednesday, May 30, 2007

N. Joy Burger

Dear R.Abbi,

In-N-Out Burger just opened a branch next to my store and it is great. Everyone that works there is very pleasant and the food along with the fries are as fresh as can be.

But I just recently found out something and want to know your opinion: on the bottom of each cup is printed John 3:16.

When I looked this up it said: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Also on the wrapper of the hamburger it has Nahum 1:7 printed on it which when I looked it up it said: "The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; He knows those who take refuge in Him."

So basically In-N-Out is saying that if you accept Jesus Christ (no matter how good you are) you will have eternal life but if you do not believe (even if you led a perfect life) you will basically go to hell.

Do you think, being Jewish, that I should not go to In-N-Out?

N. Joy Burger


Dear N. Joy Burger

Really, do you care? Or is this a case of thinking that being Jewish means "not" being Christian and dissociating yourself from all things Christian?

I’ve had wonderful meals at Hare Krishna restaurants and I’ve had crappy meals at kosher restaurants. Personally, I don't think the theology of the chef has much to do with the quality of the meal.

Moreover, ethically and morally, In-N-Out Burger scores the highest of any hamburger chain: they pay their employees well and use meat that is far healthier. (Check out Eric Schlosser's book and documentary Fast Food Nation for all the fascinating details.)

With regard to the quotes, I like the Nahum quote, don’t you? And with regard to John 3:16, I'd advise that you "take what you like and leave the rest . . ." You don't want to believe that Jesus is the son of God and that he died for your sins, that's fine. But the idea that God loves you, me, and all the world is a pretty groovy idea. . .

Next time you see a wrapper with some theology you aren't certain you agree with, I think you should take a moment to think about how blessed you are in your life. That you have the ability to make choices. That you can choose to eat there or not.

Finally, be careful you don’t raise your cholesterol too high by eating there too much.

R. Abbi

No comments: