Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Heaven on my mind

My non-Jewish sister-in-law asked me about Jews' notion of Heaven and Hell... I realize that's a big question, but if you have a "short answer", I'd be grateful.

— Heaven-on-my-mind.

Dear Heaven-on-my-mind,

Here's a story:
Before a sermon that I gave at a Los Angeles congregation, I asked those in attendance, "By a show of hands, how many of you believe in life-after death?" and about 1/3 of the people raised their hands. I continued, "By a show of hands, how many of you don't believe in life-after death?" and about 1/3 of the people raised their hands. And then I said, "By a show of hands, how many of you aren't certain?" and about 1/3 of the people raised their hands.

"This," I exclaimed, "is exactly why it's impossible for me to answer simple questions like, what do Jews believe about life-after death!"
The same goes for your question.

There is no singular Jewish notion of heaven and hell.

Here is a link to a Jewish web-site that unequivocally states that that Jews do believe in Heaven and Hell. And, one can find web-sites that state otherwise.

The Hebrew Bible doesn't say much about life after death and that which it does say isn't very clear. On the other hand, the writings of Immanuel, the son of Solomon of Rome (c.1261–c.1328), like the writings of Dante, give a pretty impressive tour of hell.

Since the enlightenment, many Jews have tried to expunge archaic non-rational "superstitions" from their philosophy and theology... accordingly, the word on the street is that Jews don't believe in heaven and hell.

So much for the short answer.
(Or, giving you any answer at all.)

With love,

R.Abbi





No comments: